Monday, August 13, 2012

Very new to this....

Okay. I don't know what to do or how to begin. But let's just start out with a normal post. In the last four years (to the day) I have been reading books non stop. I was never really a big book reader in high school. The first book I ever remember truly reading and loving was Switched by R.L. Stine. This book gave me the chills. I remember reading it and thinking what is going on? It had drawn me into it. Two best friends which the writer believes switched places when in all reality it's something else entirely. I was in sixth grade when I read this. I still have it too. 


When I hit my high school years I never read much of anything unless the school assigned it to me. Even then I unfortunately never really cared. It's sad too. I wish now that I would have paid attention and read the books. It wasn't until my senior year and my final high school English class that I fell in love with a book my teacher picked out specifically for me. While everyone else was reading Animal Farm and other selected books. I was given Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. This book made all my emotions spill. I could not explain it. I read the book in two days. To me that was quick for someone who never gave reading a chance. I felt as if I was the character and living her life. I had some rough times in high school especially with boys. So I felt as if I could relate to the character. Later on I eventually saw the lifetime movie version of this book. It was good but the book was better.

Lovely Bones cover.jpgWhen I gave the book back to my teacher he asked my thought's on the book. After he did that I then was given a second book to read. Here I am on a second book and the rest of the class is still reading their first book. This was back in 2004. Nowadays Who knows what the kids are reading. This second book that I was given is one we all know. Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Again this book took me under four days to read. I cried. I could not believe what was happening. It opened me up to some many emotions. A girl watching her best friend and the guy she liked getting together. Watching everything they were doing. Looking over her father who was constantly trying to find his little girl when all the while the rapist was right next door and her body in the corn field by the house. By now if you haven't read the book you have seen the movie. By the way, I preferred the book over the movie. There is just so much emotion in the book that you just can't see on film.
CoverofLuckybyAliceSebold.jpg

After I graduated high school with the memory of those books in my mind, I went to Barnes and Noble and bought Lucky by Alice Sebold. When I dove into this book I was slammed into a city I knew well. Syracuse, New York, SU campus. This memoir of her took place not 30 minutes from where I lived. Alice went to college at Syracuse University. But for all intents and purposes the names were all changed in the book. It starts off with the perspective of a college girl who was studying late and was walking back to her dorm room when she is attacked and raped. People walk by as it's happening and thought it was people having sex. As the book goes on no one believes her and they all distance themselves. One day she spots her rapist and then puts into motion to get him arrested. This over a couple years time if I remember correctly. Again this book made me angry, sad, happy and it also made me cry. No one should ever have to go through something like that.


It was a long time before I began reading again. I lost interest because I started working and didn't have much time to read. Okay everyone take a guess on what book had me reading again...
Twilightbook.jpg

Answer: Twilight.

Yes, I know how obvious. When I was younger I loved vampires and all the paranormal. I just never was into reading. My boyfriends mom and sister recommended this book to me a few months before I actually read it. I kept telling them I don't read it will be boring. After months of them telling me to read it I decided to give it a try. It took me forever to get past the first four chapters. I was so bored. I thought Bella was boring. As I kept reading I began to get interested in it. I finished the book in three days. In the end I finished the entire series in one week. This series opened me up to many more book series that are much more well written and more complex.

Now I am in the middle of about thirty or more series not including the series that have been completed by the authors. Hopefully I can get a hang of this whole reviewing process and write some reviews for everyone.

This is just my small history of books that have had me interested in reading and the one to finally push me into the world of books. 

Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment