Friday, August 17, 2012

Book Review of Heart of Gold

Heart of GoldAuthor: Jessica Bird a.k.a J.R. Ward
Category: Romance
Original release date: 2003 by Ivy books
Re-release date: 2012 by Signet Books
Star rating out of 5: 5 stars


This book is the second book J.R. Ward wrote her first book was Leaping Hearts. Eventually she went on to write several other "normal" romance novels before her Black Dagger Brother hood and Fallen Angel series. Don't be discouraged to read these books. When I first saw these books being released I was hesitant at first as well. I love her BDB series and didn't think these books could live up to how I felt about them. The first book I read was Unforgettable Lady (I will try and find my reviews and post this on the site). I fell in love with the book and could wait to get my hands on the next ones.

Now that I have given that small little back story let's focus on the current book!


The book Heart of Gold takes place mainly in the Adirondacks of New York State. The two main characters Carter Wessex who is the states best Archaeologist and Nick Farrell hardheaded businessman. Carter goes to Nick after hearing about the possibility of solving a murder that happened back in the late 1700's and asks for permission to do a dig to unravel the mysteries behind the story. Which leads to love, heartbreak, danger, and reunions.....

Carter Wessex daughter of a famous wealthy businessman. She leaves that life to spend most of her time in the dirt and away from all the fancy parties. Later on in the book we come to learn the reason behind her making these choices. She doesn't trust businessmen like her father which makes this book fun. She is hardheaded and stubborn. Carter is also loyal and protective of those she considers family. When she loves she puts her whole self into it. She clashes a lot with Nick, this makes the book so much fun to read.

Nick is your typical alpha male. Afraid to love and never settles down with one female and always dates the same socialites. He is hardheaded, demanding, do as I say or else. This crumbles when he meets Carter. He is an uncle to his sister's son Cort who lives with him. Later on it's revealed how things ended up the way they did and why he is who he is.

I fell in love with both of these characters. When they first meet it's electric. The banter back and forth had me laughing and it just keeps going throughout the books.

My favorite scene in the book is when Carter goes to Nick for permission to dig on his mountain. Eventually he starts in on her clothing and few other things about her and leads to this line from her...

" No, it's the flashing ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS sign over your desk."

When I read that I couldn't stop laughing. The main reason is because no one talks to Nick Farrell that way ever. For her to do that is amazing! He has a reputation of being a shark and he tosses people out on their asses for much less than what she said.

Anyway's before I go out all spoil the book for everyone. Give this a chance. It is a great book and all the characters are great very well developed and makes you fall for them instantly. Yes you will get pissed at some of them but that what makes it a great book. When the author makes you feel and see what the characters do!!

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment